Saturday 24 May 2014

Staying Sane

My online writer friends and I have been talking about the perils of social media lately. Writers have to build a social platform because so much of what happens in business these days depends on social media outlets. I know a lot of authors who feel pressured to show up on every site and they feel overwhelmed with the job. I hate to tell you this, Facebook, but a lot of people don’t like you. They say the reason FB works regardless is because it’s bred into us to like to tell stories and jokes and entertain, as it provides us social proof of our value.


A few years ago, when I started to think about building my 'brand' (based on the author branding plan, Primal Branding by Patrick Hanlon), I was running around like a headless chicken. I stuck a finger in every social media pie until I ran out of fingers. I found it impossible to keep up with them all. My writer friends over at Writing for Children and I decided that the only way to stay sane was to cut down to the social media options we most enjoyed.
It’s a simple principle, one in which my eleven-year-old heartily agrees. Sam has Down Syndrome. We have a monthly calendar for him of what he’s doing each day with moveable sticky words. Sam likes to take all the ‘school’ stickers off his calendar and change them for those marked ‘holidays’!
 
 
Taking a leaf from Sam’s book, I quit a bunch of author sites, deleted certain updates, unsubscribed from other things, and I whittled my social media presence down to a top three sites I knew I could consistently enjoy. Works much better, and I feel it's got to be more sustainable in the long run. Sam likes to encourage me with the words, "Mama happy." Words to live by. 
 


The wonderful author and blogger, Joe Bunting wrote a great post this week about how much we authors need each other. From the post, I tweeted:


Great writing creates a deep connection with others. But you can't connect if you're afraid. ctt.ec/N1xdd+

If I may, Joe, I’d hasten to add another line:

And you can’t connect if you don’t genuinely want to be there.

Being our authentic selves online is the way we represent who we are.
I think the idea of being able to ‘do it all’ is a modern myth.  I say, do what you like to do, so that you have enough time left in the day to write (or do whatever your joy is). And don’t worry if your absence disturbs/upsets some people.
Remember, "If you intend to write as truthfully as you can, your days as a member of polite society are numbered, anyway.” ~ Stephen King

 
 
 
Talk to you later,
 
Yvette K. Carol

20 comments:

  1. *waves* Bodacious, Yvette! My post kinda talks about this (it's for a free e-book an author is putting together) to help newbie writers.We NEED each other. Love that quote.

    Here's another one for you. "Turn off the internet, turn on to writing." Robyn Campbell :-) Another fantabulous post, girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you. :-) Hey girlfriend, you're one of the few other people I know who uses the term 'Bodacious'. Love it! And of course, we're on the same wavelength!! Will check out your blog post next, didn't realize there was an update - it must be lost in my eight-page-deep Inbox. Jeepers. It's like a jungle in there :-)

      Delete
    2. p.s. forgot to say, I love that quote!!

      Delete
  2. Good for you for figuring out where to pull out those fingers (love your description!) and focusing your energies into areas that are most important to you! I had to go through that too (and allot time to each place). Sam is a wise kid. :)

    The Stephen King quote cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. The quote's funny because it's so true! :-)
      The crazy thing is I still get pangs of guilt about the people I'd built relationships with on LinkedIn - and I feel that I'm letting them down by not being there. However, something had to give, and LinkedIn was one of the big time wasters in my life for about a year there, so I decided to bow out gracefully.

      Delete
    2. All respect to LinkedIn, of course!

      Delete
  3. P.S. Love the pictures of Sam! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they great? I got them this week while he was home sick with flu. He can make the most of anything, this kid.

      By the way, thank you guys for commenting. It's a terrifying business putting out blog posts. This was my third ever, and all night I kept coming back to check but there were no comments until this morning! Egads.

      Delete
  4. Don't worry. If you write it they will come. Promise! I'll share on twitter and FB. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with all your points, Yvette. We all seem to get overwhelmed when we spread ourselves too thin. I'm with Sam as far as which stickers to keep on the calendar! Love his pirate garb. Very cute pics! I hadn't heard that Stephen King quote, but that's a good one! I knew you'd like blogging. You have a natural voice for blog posts. I don't use the word 'bodacious,' but I love the movie Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and every time I hear the word 'bodacious' it reminds me of that movie! Excellent! Bodacious, man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! *air guitar* Dude, I knew you were a bodacious gal right from the first moment we met. It was so cool to take a break from the document I'm typing and peek in here to discover friends waiting! Yay! Party. I took those photos this week while Sam was home sick with flu. I looked up expecting him to still be sitting in front of the tv, and there he was decked out like a dragon/Aladdin/pirate and Sam always has to give it a flourish *ta da!* He cracks me up so much, man. Love that kid too much probably for it to be healthy! Thanks for commenting xx

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have to strike a balance in everything. What I love about blogging is the connections I make and what I learn from other writers. I've had to blog a little less to make other time, but I keep myself in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the balance is sooo hard isn't it? I'm constantly juggling things. How often do you blog? I think I don't blog enough.
      At the moment, I write a newsletter for the folks on my mailing list one weekend, and I write a blog post the next. That way, I can still keep up with my critique group, my writing, and the rest of my life during the week! I'm so with you though about the 'connections' you make, that has been the best part about this process for me, so far. And I've only just begun, this is my third ever blog post! Thanks for taking the time to comment, Theresa :-)

      Delete
  8. This is so great. I keep being told, as I try to publish my book, that I need a bigger platform, I need to be on Twitter, I need to do such and such. Twitter, for me, is not doable, or even interesting. Facebook and Pinterest and google+ are the tools (besides blogging) I use and they are enough. I've reconciled if I don't gain more fans b/c I don't do more...OK. I love King's quote above...as writers, our days are numbered anyway. Our days as PEOPLE are numbered. This life is temporary. I do want to be genuine and write truthfully. The truth is, most of the world will never know me, but God knows what I'm doing and he's the one I want to please. Thank you for this post. I connected with you on google. come visit me, if you'd like:
    http://adventuresintheballpark
    facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adventures-in-the-Ballpark-Marianne-Ball/394038163950377?ref=hl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianne, nice to meet you! Thanks for commenting. I will come visit you :-) Yes, I think there's a fine balance to be struck, as Theresa said above. One newbie writer I met on LinkedIn was of the opinion that the marketing was the publisher's job, 'I'm the talent', 'I get to write' was what he said. Now that type of bullheadedness is just plain old fashioned. It's a different world out there these days, and yes, as writers - aka, the talent - we do have to step forward and do some of the marketing ourselves. It's like someone said elsewhere, a few years back, a celebrity was as out-of-reach as the stars, these days we know where they're having breakfast. The public expect to have avenues to get to know their public figures and the publisher or their marketing team can't fulfil that role. It's a fact of life. However, as to the balance, there's no way we can actively participate on every social media stream. I really get mad when I hear of new writers being told 'you have to be here, and there, and everywhere'. I was in that position too. It was pure stress. We still have to live our lives, and tend to the actual writing which takes whopping amounts of time. And as I said in my post, if you're not enjoying the social media activity you're engaged in, it'll show and you won't make those connections anyway. You stick to your guns, Marianne! It sounds like you've got it sorted. :-)

      Delete
  9. I'm in the middle of making those same cuts myself, and I think it's facebook that's going to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie,
      it's hard isn't it? I'd love to answer every invitation and be everywhere at once...now, if I could just generate about four or five more hours in the day! :-)

      Delete