Friday 17 October 2014

Are You Sure You’re Doing The Wrong Thing?

 
Life should not be comfortable; it isn’t to a person’s advantage to have it so.  Nor should art.  Never have the masterpieces of life or art been pleasant or easy.  They are always rugged peaks to be ascended by the few. ~Nikos Kazantzakis


About 30,000 years ago, the earliest examples of the cave art of our ancestors began to appear. And from that moment in history, we sought to express strong feelings through imagery. This proved a great intellectual breakthrough for our species. And I’m sure those first artists were lauded and offered the best food the tribe had to offer. This breakthrough was of paramount importance to everyone.

In effect, man could ‘freeze’ part of his environment long enough for his powerful intelligence to think about it, to manipulate it, to understand it fully. ~ Readers Digest, The First Two Million Years.



This led to teaching aids, toys and tools. Therefore, art has played a quintessential part of our evolution. A friend raised a great topic the other day on Facebook. She asked a question which set me to thinking for days afterwards.

I love Facebook. There, I said it! Sometimes, the discussions that start there are the best conversations I have in a day. They’re wonderfully honest.

            Back to the great question posed. My friend has been going through some of the more stressful events of life in recent times. Then a colleague went away, and sorely missing her, my friend was left questioning her course in life. An artist and writer, she posted this status update:

I’m not even sure why being able to draw has a purpose these days...it doesn’t seem to have any artistic or financial merit. I always thought it was a divine gift. What should I do with it? Please discuss

I thought, wow, that’s such a thought-provoking topic. People chimed in with ringing thoughts like, It is a really simple and cathartic way to channel your juju and to process whatever it is inside you which needs to be processed.


Another commenter shared this quote: "Art is not about making a living it is about making a life." The wise words of Paulus Berensohn


 
 
Fired up, I commented, “My oil paintings will outlive me. I kind of like that. However, leaving legacies aside, a world without art and artists of all kinds I would not want to live in. Our purpose may not be expressed in the same clearly linear format of hours done/recompense given/living earned sort of thing as other people get to do. The arts are about much much more than that. They're about spiritual, emotional, mental, physical expression and transmutation and magical processes. The arts provide the rest of mankind with those most important of elusive experiences: hope, and inspiration, and aspiration and joy.”
They're about the alchemy of being reminded to look up and remember the bigger picture.


 
Where would any of us be without it? I’m quite sure that art led to the development of the written word. We don’t just want the arts, we depend on them. As the world becomes more burdened and soulless around us, we need our artists and creatives more than ever. So, if you were chosen, and have that destiny, bless you, and keep going. You're 'remembering the universe' for everyone. Don’t ever give up!
 



My pal, the writer PJ Reece and I were having an email back-and-forth once on the topic of being transported by our work (as lowly writers). In signing off, he said, “Ah!  The eastern sky is lightening.  I gotta go.  An hour from now my best interests will be hijacked by appearances and the everyday mind, and I will be buried under gravel, again.”

            And that’s it. Life railroads over us with demands and needs. We're earthed by the fact the bills have to be paid, the toilet scrubbed, the son’s nose wiped. This week, I go to see my dentist, my car needs a panel beater, and take middle child to have the gunk sucked out of his ears. If I couldn’t read, or see a movie, or look at a painting; if I didn’t have my ‘art’, my books to write, I would not survive. For me, as a creative person, these channels of expression form my outlet and wonderfully, they have the potential to uplift others as well one day. That’s sublime. Transformative.
 


“Where There Is No Vision, the People Perish” The phrase comes from the Bible’s book of Proverbs, and it expresses an important truth: Humans, in order to live effectively and happily, need a goal—a vision—to pursue. ~ Paul Rosenberg
 



Yet these days, the artist, the writer, the singer, is no longer at the top of the food chain. The ‘artist’s way’ as Julia Cameron coined it, is not for the faint-hearted. No. You must have courage in your heart and steel in your spine. You must 'have your stirrups on', as my sister would say. The arts are not generally regarded as a high status profession. Admiration is saved for the famous. No one, not your family, not even your spouse will respect your choice to go the artist’s way unless you’re making money. For writers, there are a small tier of authors on the top shelf, the bestsellers, who make a good living out of writing fiction. The rest of us  will only ever do our writing alongside our ‘real job’. It’s unappreciated, underpaid, and I have to say, a fairly thankless path.
 
 
 
As PJ Reece said, I guess all outsiders are symbols of failure in the eyes of the mainstream. It reminds me of Leonard Cohen’s long-ago mentor who, concerned for Leonard’s onward path, asked him:

“Are you sure you’re doing the wrong thing?”
 

 
I know I am. I’m happily following my muse, thirty five years later, I’m still writing for children - despite everything - still doing the wrong thing. And it continues to light up my life. How about you? Mojo intact? Are you doing the wong thing? I love to hear from you...

 

See ya’ in the funny papers!

Yvette K. Carol

http://www.yvettecarol.com

14 comments:

  1. Thank you, Y.C. for a great post... those quotes from Kazantzakis and Cohen are worth hauling out again and again. There's so much conventional wisdom we must struggle to ignore. "Are you sure you're doing the wrong thing?" -- I can imagine a blog with that motto! We need daily reminders. Speaking of my blog and website, it's being reconstructed as I speak. My whole platform vanished a few weeks ago. Note to fellow bloggers -- are you backed up?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PJ! :-) Thanks for commenting.

    When you posted the Kazantzakis and Cohen quotes on your blog, I recall saying at the time that I was going to be saving a few to my Great Quotes file. Well, I did. And they now form a precious part of the treasury. So thank you for sharing them. I always get a boost every time I read them, and that is after all, what art's all about.

    I love the part about the daily 'struggle to ignore conventional wisdom'. Ha ha. You've got a way with words, no doubt. Yes. Agreed. It takes a certain strength and courage to stand alone, to take the path less travelled, the sort of fierce light that can only be mustered from within.

    I wondered what had happened to you the other day. I had gone back to re-read your blog, as I sometimes do, and there was only a blank page. Glad to hear you're getting it figured out!

    And you've given us a valuable reminder. I bought a new USB stick the other week, to back up all my files, and forgot about it! So I will do that job this week. :-)

    I think I love the "Are you sure you're doing the wrong thing?" quote best of all. I'd read that blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, just commented and it vanished. :/ Anyways, just wanted to express my thanks to you for sharing this. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candi. That's quite a common thing these days, my comments nearly always go missing between typing them and hitting 'reply as'. I've said to a few people now, that it pays to 'copy' your comment after writing it. Then, as soon as it vanishes, you just hit 'paste' and away you go. The one time or two that I forget to copy, I always regret it. Because no one wants to write a comment twice!

      Btw, that info you gave me on eliminating the 'captcha' thingee has been very valuable. I saved your instructions. And I've given them out again at least a couple of times since then. A lot of people don't know how to get rid of it, it seems. So thank you!

      I'm glad you enjoyed the post. When I saw your update this morning, I immediately thought, maybe you'd get something out of my update? Thanks for reading. Keep up the good work! :-)

      Delete
  4. still writing poems, sometimes short stories everyday. So please keep writing Yvette. and I'll be buying your tales as soon as they come out for the child in me and my own children who grow up so fast…..

    http://writingsusanb-rouch.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're awesome, Susan! Thanks for the encouraging words and the support! Good work, keeping up with your poems and stories. I'm very impressed by your poetry :-) I'll hop over to your blog now and check it out :-)

      Delete
  5. Love this post, Yvette. EXCELLENT! It's easy to wonder if. And we all do. I'm glad your friend started such a lively discussion. That led to this post. It won't be long before you're published, my friend. Stay POSITIVE. It's so easy to get down in the dumps in this business. (I'm glad you're following your muse after all those years.) Hugs and cheers. We're on our way. (I'm doing the wrong thing.) ZOOM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Good on you, Robyn, for doing the wrong thing at such lightning speed!! Yippee :-) You're a shining light to all of us.
    I'm so glad you enjoyed my post :-)
    much love xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post, Yvette! Those quotes are fab and your paintings are super. Let's all do the wrong thing forever together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, let's!! And let's keep on sharing the journey - it's much more fun with friends :-) Thank you for reading and commenting, Catherine :-)

      Delete
  8. I'm not an artist, but I do love stitch (as you know) and a few crafts to let out all the stuff writing doesn't. Lovely Post. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! Crafts are 'the arts' too, my friend, Don't ever think any less of it. I know so many amazing craft people. All of this work is special, as well as uplifting to those who see the pieces you create. Craft away and keep writing too :-)

      Delete
  9. Lovely post! And it rings true. Michelangelo wrote, "Draw, Antonio; draw, Antonio; draw and don't waste time." I am off to step into my haven and write...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! Love that Michelangelo quote. Awesome :-) You go!

      Delete