Wednesday 3 December 2014

The Shine a Light Campaign!



The Insecure Writer’s Support Group! is a supportive online environment for insecure writers. A big aspect of IWSG is the idea of giving as well as taking. The group organizers 'encourage everyone to visit at least a dozen new blogs and leave a comment. Your words might be the encouragement someone needs.'

In the spirit of this give-and-take code of conduct, I’d like to share a wonderful initiative by a friend of mine. My good friend, author and poet, Catherine Johnson came up with a brilliant idea recently called the Shine a Light campaign.

“I’ve decided to start a blog campaign on Mondays with your help using a hashtag like #shinealight to spotlight deeds of kindness/help.  If you hear of a story where someone did something to help someone else feel free to cover a story on your blog and use the hashtag #shinealight on Twitter.” ~ C.J.

 
My Shine a Light story takes us back in time a few years. It is about my grandmother, Nan Hefferan, who lived a life of impeccable service to others.

Nan gave to others her entire life. She served as a barrister in her small town in England and was known for ‘being fair’. She also held the position of County Borough Organizer for the Women’s Voluntary Service and was known for ‘being involved in many charitable works’. The charity initiative for which she became widely known however was the ‘Trolley Shop’. It was her idea to take simple items the rest of us take for granted like combs, and pantyhose, and fruit into the Workhouses on a wheeled ‘shop’, which my grandfather built by repurposing their old tea trolley.


Nan told me that the first time she and her women took the trolley shop, otherwise known as ‘meals on wheels’ into one of the Workhouses, it was an instant success. They had been through the entire complex of buildings, when Nan realized that the man in charge was hurrying her and her posse of WVS past the mentally infirm and disabled ward. Nan stopped him and insisted the mentally infirm and disabled inmates must be given their turn to ‘shop’ as well. “They have just as much right as anyone else in the Workhouse.”
 
Upon the door opening to the mental ward, Nan said she froze when a large woman lumbered across the room towards her. Though terrified, my five-foot-tall grandmother stood her ground. The woman drew up before Nan and reached up to stroke Nan’s face. “Nice,” the woman said and smiled.
 
And that was the start of the WVS Trolley Service into the Workhouses—the mentally disabled wings included. This simple idea alleviated the dire lives of countless poverty-stricken and disadvantaged folk.

I really admire my grandmother's spirit of regarding all people as equal. Even those our society has long sought to discard. A humble magnet on her fridge spoke of her life's ethic, a bible verse of just two words: “Be kind.”  

 

 
Have you witnessed a random display of kindness lately? Do you feel inspired by other people’s acts of charity? Know people who are givers rather than takers? Have you got a ‘Shine a Light’ story? Please share.


 

‘A man is only truly ethical when he obeys the compulsion to help all life he is able to assist. And shrinks from injuring anything that lives.’ ~ Albert Schweitzer

 

Talk to you later,
 
~~

Posted: 01 Dec 2014 06:52 AM PST
Just in time for IWSG post week and Christmas - The Insecure Writer’s Support Group Guide to Publishing and Beyond is available for downloading. Thanks to everyone who contributed – it is packed with information! Please help us spread the word about this awesome book.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Candi! It brings tears to my eyes actually, every time I read it. I really do aspire to be more like Nan.
      Hope you're well!
      Take care, Yvette x

      Delete
  2. That's a great story, Yvette! Did your grandmother start something that went national? It's fantastic. Include everyone is a great message. We are all equal in this life. Thanks so much, Yvette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, pal! I love this idea of yours. I think it's fabulous. As I told you before, when I sat to think of good deeds done, I immediately thought of my amazing grandmother. Her bravery in going into that mental wing - the first outsider ever to do so - lives strong in my soul. I know she would have loved my boy too...and when I think of the way these mentally disabled people are treated in society even today, it breaks my heart.

      In answer to your question, yes, it went national. In the copy of the newspaper clipping I have they call it 'meals on wheels'. Which is why I put the term in this post. I believe the WVS still run the trolley shop today!

      Many blessings on your Shine a Light campaign!
      Yvette x

      Delete
  3. Nothing quite like your nan, but I will keep my eyes open. Curse you for making me cry.

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! My eyelashes are still heavy!! Gets to me every time....

      Thanks so much for dropping by, Anna. Will hop over to yours and some others later in the day :-)

      Bless x

      Delete
  4. This was a short, powerful story. It's sad, but I can't think of the last time I witnessed a random act of kindness. Or maybe I've been too busy to notice. I'll definitely take those words, "be kind," to heart and keep my eye out for those who are shining the light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :-) I know what you mean, Quanie. At first, I had to really think hard. We're lucky to have such a maternal guiding light in our family, and I try to live by her ethic as much as I can. "Be Kind" is so simple and so poignant, right? Let us know if and when you do witness an act of kindness. Thank you so much for commenting!!

      Delete
  5. Such a sweet story, Yvette. Your grandmother sounds like a remarkable woman. The world is full of these kind people if we look hard enough. Thank you so much for sharing her story. Made me proud, and I didn't even know her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joylene! Oh boy, you don't know how that made my heart swell to hear you feel pride in Nan!! Part of my decision to share her story is that she was such a quietly powerful figure, I want her legacy to live on in all who hear it and are touched similarly. Let's all "Be Kind" :-) My gratitude for your comments and your time! :-)

      Delete
  6. What a lovely story. It really reminds us how significant small acts of charity and kindness can be for other human beings. I admire your Nan.
    We are all in this world, together, and sometimes, we forget about those struggling because we are busy with our own lives.
    I try to volunteer for children as much as I can so I can encourage them to read, write and be kind towards one another. If I see a school in need of a light to shine in on them, I try to be as bright as I possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gina for all the kind good deeds you do! The world is a better place because of folks like Nan and you. Awesome. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful, Yvette. It sounds like your nan was a lovely lady with a lovely heart for all. I wish there were more people like her in this world. It's so sad that the world is filled with all this hate. Your grandfather must have been something too. After all, she married him. :-) Thanks for sharing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was an inspirational figure for all of us. I'm just glad I got lucky enough to record some of the stories of Nan's life (from her) and now I feel so good about passing them on. Yes. We need more people like her in the world, for sure! Thanks for stopping by, Robyn!!

      Delete