Tuesday 5 August 2014

How do you protect your unique voice in the critique group experience?


In accordance with the guidelines of the Insecure Writers Support Group, where writers share their insecurities and thoughts, I’m writing my post to coincide with the first Wednesday of the month. My topic for this post is critique groups.
I remember many years ago when I joined kiwiwrite4kids, the organizer, Maria Gill, advised me to join a critique group.
Myself and Maria Gill at last year's Storylines Children's Literature Festival.
 
As Anne R. Allen said,Joining a writing group is one of the easiest ways to learn your craft. And it's way cheaper than hiring an editor.’
 
It’s taken me a long time to find the right critique group. Along the way to finding the group that really works best for me, I went through a disastrous experience with a writing partner who slowly undercut my confidence and reduced me to questioning whether I even wanted to be a writer. I’ve been in groups where it was all ‘take’ and no ‘give’ and groups where I was the only experienced writer on board.
 
As Anne R. Allen said in her recent blog post, when you’re in a group you’re not sure is right for you, ask yourself, Do their suggestions give you an "ah-ha" moment, or make you want to toss the baked brie in the critiquer's face? 
 
And if the latter is the case, and these people appear to be more vicious than helpful, realize, ‘People like this are operating from a place of envy and fear. Nothing they say can help you, because they're only half-listening to your piece. They're too busy rehearsing their bitter bon mots. The fix: Run! Get out while you still have the will to live.’ 
 
Thankfully, I have finally found a group this year that fits my needs and my lifestyle and is peopled with others who give and take in equal measure.

The issue for me now is how do I utilize all their great suggestions while still retaining my style and protecting my voice? And this is an issue I’ve been discussing lately with other writers. It’s a real conundrum.

With one piece recently, I followed every single person’s suggestions to the letter, and the resulting story was neat as a pin. Only problem was it didn’t sound or feel like me anymore.

After a similar experience, my dear friend, the author, Maria Cisneros-Toth said, ‘I began to read aloud starting at chapter one. Horrified, I stopped. My character's voice was gone. I panicked, jumped up and went straight to my computer and began dropping in those parts that I had been told to delete. They were still fresh in my mind, thank goodness. And from there I fleshed out the story. I remembered my counselor's words and I still live by them even in my writing...sift and choose your information.

My friends over on Writing for Children and I are about to critique one another’s stories for an anthology we’re putting together. I decided to address this issue with them, so I wrote this letter:
 
'This is what I want to say about critique, which I've just been learning recently, these are purely my thoughts, you don't have to take them on if they don't resonate with you. We're all different. Maria & I have been discussing this lately. It's just that if we take every single critique, even when we don't agree with it, then we may end up with a piece that's not authentic to us. Only take on board that which in your gut feels right. So feel free to use or discard my comments. It's up to you.'

Do you agree? What critique group experiences have you had?

See ya in the funny papers!
Till next time,
Yvette K. Carol

25 comments:

  1. I think critique groups are an important part of any writer's life, but they can offer only so much. You hit the nail on the head when you read your piece out loud and noticed how unnatural the voice felt to you. I'm glad you remembered enough to put it back in your piece.

    I'm beginning to do the same now; I always read my work aloud when I'm done, just to see if the voice sounds right to me. This was a great topic you chose for this month's IWSG. Lily-Eva, Co-host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lily-Eva, thanks so much for the great comment. Just to be clear, it was my friend, Maria Toth, who said she read her piece out loud, etc. I thought it was such an accurate way of putting it that I had to quote her!

      Re the blog topic, I always think I'll mull on a really deep idea in the two weeks in between, but every time I go to write the blog, I'm always drawn to write the most topical latest blip on my radar. So much for forethought! ha ha

      Delete
  2. I think I've had the worst run that I've ever heard of when it comes to critique groups ... It took me over a year to find any kind of fit at all - by then I was just looking for partners - I'd given up on groups. But with each novel I worked through, it seemed I needed to find another partner or two. The ones I worked with previously weren't ready to work through another book. Ahhhh!! I have one partner at the moment and she's great - I'm hoping or a longer standing relationship this time! I have also found beta through Goodreads have had some great insites that I've implemented. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear about your bad run with critique groups, Michelle!
      It can really hollow you out like a papaya being shelled of the seeds, when you have an uncomplimentary/unhelpful critique group. I know how it feels.

      I had a writing partner for the two years before this and I really enjoyed that. It was fantastic. Then, we morphed from there into a bigger group. There's six of us now and it is a real phenomena that everyone sees something different! So, I guess what I'm saying is that I've come to think there probably are more benefits in the bigger groups.

      Good luck with maintaining the great relationship with your writing partner. I'm still best of friends with mine and we continue to work with each other. It's invaluable to have a beta reader/writing partner you're compatible with.

      Thanks for commenting, Michelle! x :)

      Delete
  4. It's great that you have a group you can work with, but it's even better that you understand your writing well enough to know when something's not right.

    Good luck with the continued struggle of what to keep and what to toss from a crit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, A.B! Awesome blog by the way!! Yes, you're absolutely right about 'the continued struggle'. Just when you think you've got it, things slip through your fingers again. It's a constant balancing act. :-)

      Delete
  5. I feel fortunate to have belonged to some excellent groups over the years, NovelsL, Noveldoc, DeadlyProse, and now a small group based in Alberta. (I'm in BC). I think they're worth their weight in gold. You can't grow without feedback. Especially from writers who AREN'T in your genre. You get a true reaction that is invaluable. Happy IWSG, Yvette! I'm #72 on Alex's list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy IWSG, Joylene! At #72, you must be nearly a founding member :-) Wow, I haven't heard such a positive comment as yours about critique groups before. That's fantastic. One of my writer friends belongs to three groups at the same time. However, despite the extra work involved, imagine how refined your work would become with that many beta readers! Wow.

      Delete
  6. This very reason is why I avoid line editing when I critique. I'll make extensive comments in the sidebar with suggestions, but when it comes to rewording stuff, I try to be very careful not to override the other person's voice. I found that I'll consider all the suggestions before I implement them. Recently, one of my critique partners made a suggestion for some prose. It was a good suggestion, but the voice didn't fit, so I had to convey the same idea but in a different way. Mostly, figure out what's not working, and address that. That's what works for me. :)

    Loni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks, Loni. That's a really good idea, to make suggestions without rewording - and also, to take the suggestions given and amend them to fit your own style. Brilliant! :-)

      Delete
  7. Yvette, I appreciate your cautionary story. I haven't been in too many critique groups or let me rephrase that, I haven't been to many critique sessions with my groups. I am in many writing MeetUp groups but never go to any of them. I have critique anxiety and have written about that several times on my blog. I do workshop my work and have hired editors in the past. I'm just starting to get up the courage to actually go to one of my MeetUps. It is scheduled for mid-August. Time will tell. (IWSG)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you, Stephanie, for continuing to confront your anxiety! Yes, I remember when I joined an in-person writers' group and it used to fill me with trepidation too. I prefer online groups these days. And yet, just the other week I lapsed back into real nerves over the pieces I'd submitted, because they were non-fiction and I felt so incredibly vulnerable. That's why you have to vet the groups you enter. If they couch criticism in kind words, good. If they give critique as well as take it, good. If they have some experience, good. You know what I mean? Don't just take what they say for fact. I wish you the best of luck!!!! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  8. I just go it alone these days. Can be very solitary...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Jane, I did the same for most of my writing life. Very hermit-ish it was! I think that's why Maria encouraged me to step out. I learn so much through my peers now though, I am glad I made the change :-) Let me know what happens if you ever try another group. I'd be interested to hear! Thanks so much for commenting :-)

      Delete
  9. Hello, I made it. I have a suggestion for you.

    If you are a member of Facebook, search out "Insecure Writers Support Group" and join. If you have any trouble let me know.

    I agree with your post. A critter can't see your direction, or the specific story you want to tell. It makes sense then that they will overshadow their feedback with opinions that use their direction as a guide. Hopefully they understand this, as you should when commenting on their work. Do you expect them to change everything you comment on? Of course not.

    Critters help with plot holes, grammar, word choices, characterization, but the bare bones of a story should not be their domain. This is yours. Before you consider incorporating any opinion, saveas and WORK FROM A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL.

    Sorry about shouting but that phrase was important. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anna! You made it over to my digs again. Yay!
      Yes, I have to admit, I already did what you suggested. I was such a geek that when I started working with critique groups, I couldn't bear to put their changes into my original stories (just in case, I decided later, I wish I could read the original to see how it compares!). I only ever work on copies and sometimes I end up with three or four copies in the end! ha ha.
      Thanks for the tip about Facebook. I'll check it out.
      Talk soon...Yvette :)

      Delete
  10. Yvette, I know exactly what you mean. I have learned to only accept the critique if several people bring up the same "problem". I do not take everyone's advice, but only use what makes sense to me. If not for my crit group, I would not be a published author. The support and the fun we have together is as valuable as the critique. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I recall one of our members saying that the way she uses critique is to put them away and think about the comments for a week before she changes anything. I thought that was a good idea, and I like your choice too. Great input, J.Q!

      Delete
  11. Hi Yvette.
    I'm actually in the process of looking for/creating a critique group, so I'm making a mental note of all the info posted above.
    Nice to meet you!
    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh cool, I'm glad I was able to help, Michelle. Good luck with your search! I really hope you find the right people.
      Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      Delete
  12. I don't belong to a writer's group, but test reader and critique partner suggestions might fall into the same category. You just have to go with your gut instinct. It gets easier the longer you are with the same people though. They start to get your voice and your style and their suggestions don't hinder it. I've had one critique partner since the beginning and the dude knows my style. I'll even bounce outlines off him and he knows how to suggest things that still sound like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow, you're lucky, Alex! That's brilliant. Yes, I think there are all kinds of versions of 'critique group' - beta readers (if they're erudite), writing partners, etc. I personally feel the more eyes you can get on a piece the better. That's just what I've found over time. So it sounds like you have a few people assisting, which is perfect. I have one special writing partner too. It's particularly helpful when your piece has already been through the group but you've made a few more changes and want one last check, then you have someone you trust to look at it for you. Thank goodness for our peers! Thanks for commenting, Alex. I'm honoured. :-)

      Delete
  13. That critique group setting isn't for me. I do use betas and crit partners. I don't like having to critique so many a month. It's too strict and formal. But I love feedback! It's so important.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with you about the responsibility thing - sometimes I feel a tad burdened by keeping up. However, the effort, I've found anyway, has been well worth it. Thanks for commenting, Robyn. :-) x

    ReplyDelete