Tuesday 26 August 2014

What’s your Golden Wheelhouse?


 
In accordance with the guidelines of the Insecure Writers Support Group, where writers share their insecurities and thoughts, I’m writing my post to coincide with the first Wednesday of the month. My topic for this post is the Golden Wheelhouse.
 
These little sounds and symbols are often triggers that set off emotional bombs. But what matters are the meanings of words and the truths they express, not the symbols themselves. ~ Paul Rosenberg.
 
All writers are in the business of these little sounds and symbols called words. But apparently, when we’re writing in our ‘golden wheelhouse’, our words become more heavily freighted with meaning and significance. I rather like this newly coined term which I’ve read in various articles and blogs on the interweb of late. I believe the term means when a person writes about the subjects and characters that hold the most meaning to them, the resulting book becomes greater than the sum of its parts.
 
 

 
 
How do we find what we should be writing?
I've always heard that you know you’ve found the zone which works for you when the subject matter and genre excite you, when the hours vanish and time has no meaning. I’m drawn to write about the big questions and ‘high concept’ fiction for children. Then, further, I'm the most interested in the fantasy genre and mythology. Those places are where the words flow for me, where it feels as if the prose comes from my heart and soul, so those things must comprise my ‘golden wheelhouse’.
 
Decide what’s important to you.
I’ve realized you can tell when a writer is working in their golden wheelhouse–that depth of feeling and experience comes across in every word. There’s an accompanying sense of the effortless in a story written this way as well. It has an uplift effect, and more importantly, the story has a beating heart. It’s alive.
 
A few years ago, I read a manuscript for someone, in which they had deviated totally from their golden wheelhouse to a new genre and the story came across as sterile and unappealing. It didn’t come across as authentic. The story had lost the usual soul and resounding impact.
 
Our task as writers is to engage our readers from go to whoa. In order to do this, it seems to me to be paramount that each writer decides what is the most important to them. Not what they think will be popular or will sell books, but what moves them to their core? What do they need to say? That's the key.
 
 
How about you? What’s your golden wheelhouse? Have you discovered it yet? I'd love to know!

 

See ya' in the funny papers!

Till next time,

Yvette K. Carol
 

"The talent of success is nothing more than doing what you can do well, and doing well whatever you do without thought of fame. If it comes at all it will come because it is deserved, not because it is sought after." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

17 comments:

  1. I hate to say this but I think you're a week early.

    That said, I love getting into the zone and have always wondered what kind of writer I am. Is it fantasy, sci-fi, mystery? I don't know because I write them all. Then I read a post that talked about speculative fiction and that's when I knew what I was. Or it's as close as I've gotten so far anyway. I'm full speculative and that's why I roam from genre to genre--in the zone. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna! Managed to get the week right but I think I may now be a day late? Not sure. All is lost in a haze of kids being sick at home, requiring round-the-clock care. Thank goodness I wrote this post last week, that's all I can say!
      At any rate, back to the writing. I love speculative fiction too. I believe that's another name for the official term for my genre, being 'Magic Realism'. I love the quote I culled from the book I'm currently reading on Fantasy Fiction, which says, 'Fantasy seeks to heal the wasteland.' More to come on the topic in future! Long may you roam in the zone :-)

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of that term before, and I'm not sure that I have found mine. :} But, I'm writing what moves me and dropping half-finished works that don't, so I guess that's all good. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I introduced you to something new. I really wish I'd taken note of the links for it though. I've read it in a few places but didn't think about blogging on the subject until a week or so after reading the last article which mentioned it. Never mind. I think you're clued-up enough to figure it out, my friend. You're on track! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe I'm still searching, Yvette. Sigh. Oh and I've tried my pen at many things. One of my critique readers of this MS I'm working now, did say she thought this is where I needed to focus my energy. With it being out of the children's market, I'm slightly disappointed. I so wanted to write for children. But I think it's important to listen to those around us. Sometimes they can point out things we're just to stubborn to realize. :)

    Question: Are you on the IWSG website's list of participating blogs? I'm headed over to check now. You did post a bit early, but I'm sure that's not the reason no one commented yesterday. Folks are busy. Look at me...I'm a day late. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for telling me that, Candi. It's really hard for me to judge when to post (being a day ahead of you here) so I've been posting on the Wednesday night. But having said that, with this post, I posted it on our Thursday...which is interesting. Maybe I need to post on Thursday night?

      Yes, I am on the website, down near the bottom somewhere.

      As to finding your wheelhouse, I'm with you, sometimes we do actually need others to point us in the right direction. However, we also need to be receptive to hearing these things. The person whose manuscript I mentioned in the post is someone you and I both know however they don't handle criticism well, so I don't feel confident of being able to reflect my feelings. When someone has the courage to tell us something, then we need to have the courage to receive in a neutral way. After that, the onus is on us to explore whether that rings true. It's sad to think of moving away from children's lit. though, I know what you mean. We'd miss you over on Writing for Children! xx

      Delete
  5. Yep. You're on the list. #220. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Teresa, I'd never heard the term before, but it makes sense. I'm finding my way there with every book that I write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Quanie! How sweet of you to pop over and see me :-) Thanks! That's it re your wheelhouse, keep looking, and you'll know when you find it because the sensation is one of becoming grounded. I'll tell you how I found mine. I had wasted literally years of my life developing picture book ideas, illustrations and all. Then, on a writing course, the tutor asked us to start each class by writing non-stop for ten minutes. I picked up my pen and without thought, the words just started to flow. I started every day that way from then on, and two years later, I'd written 300,000 words on a series for 'tweens. After years of struggle, I felt I'd come home. Good luck in your quest!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this post, Yvette! I'd never heard the term, either, but it does make sense. I don't know if I've found my golden wheelhouse, yet, or not. I love speculative fiction, in all its flavors, and I like to mix my flavors (elves on spaceships, anyone?) - that kind of lends itself to the type of stories I like best to read, and maybe that's what my golden wheelhouse is? Thanks, too, for stopping by my blog! I appreciate it! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto, Tammy, thanks for dropping in! Gosh, now you're the third person not to have heard the term, I'm wishing even more so that I'd taken a note of the links! Darn.

      Anyway, onto elves on spaceships. Why not? My writing tutor always used to say, start with what fascinates you. And don't be afraid to dwell there.

      Start telling the stories that only you can tell, because there’ll always be better writers than you and there’ll always be smarter writers than you. There will always be people who are much better at doing this or doing that — but you are the only you. ― Neil Gaiman

      Delete
  8. Great thoughts, Yvette! I think this will help me with my anthology piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The greater sum of its parts. BODACIOUS! It's hard for some writers to find their writerly calling. I see writers scampering about trying to decide between genres. Maybe this could help them. Will tweet it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Robyn! You make me smile. Often. My brother-in-law is the only other person I know who uses the term 'bodacious' and it always makes me laugh :-) Thanks for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete